Friday, January 27, 2012

Spanish - English translation help.. sort of.?

I met a spanish guy while travelling in europe, we established a friendship (nothing more, but he was pretty cute) and since returning home we have kept in touch.

I know when you are saying hello and goodbye Spanish people do the whole two kisses thing (a kiss on each cheek). When he signs emails to me he writes one kiss (he writes in english). I just don't get the term. Is it like signing the friendly xoxo you do to your mom? I just thought it was odd because if two kisses is more customary in person, then does one kiss (in writing) mean someone else? Just trying to understand what he is or isnt getting at :P

Help me out!Spanish - English translation help.. sort of.?
It suggests to me that he hasn't quite got hold of the subtleties of the English language; "Un beso" - "A kiss" - is a common and quite affectionate way of ending a letter in Spanish; the trouble is that "un beso" also means "one kiss" and the difference to speakers of most foreign languages between "a" and "one" is almost impossible to explain! I defy anyone to attempt to explain it even in English, when you actually know the difference!



Don't make a big thing about what he writes or how he writes it; countless friendships have been lost and innumerable wars started because people try to read too much into what someone writes in a language that is not their own and whose subtleties and idioms they have not fully grasped.
When I speak with people from Mexico on the phone or receive e-mails from the same friends, at the end of the conversation they always say "un beso y un abrazo, adios" which translates to " one (a) kiss and a hug, goodbye". If you think about it, it would sound a bit strange two write or say two kisses! Even for people who are in love, you wouldn't write two kisses! If it were a relationship with more meaning (love) he would probably say "muchos besitos" "a lot of kisses".Spanish - English translation help.. sort of.?
Why don't you ask him?

If I was him and you asked me, I would feel happy because if you are asking me is because you care about what I wrote, you are paying attention.



He may be hinting at something and you are not responding. He may be thinking you are NOT interested in whatever it may be.



Ask him!!! You'll be delighted you did. Let us know what he means, if indeed there's more to know.Spanish - English translation help.. sort of.?
Grannies are always wise ! I agree with her, ask him and you will know what he means.

No comments:

Post a Comment