Friday, February 3, 2012

Help with translation spanish - english.?

there are two terms that kind of have me a little confused that I could use some assistance with. In both cases, I understand the literal words that are being said, but I don't fully understand what the expression means in Latin America.



The first is, :"me gusta tu forma", which literally means "i like your way". a few people said this to me after I had conversations with them - am I correct to assume they're just saying that they like the kind of person that I am?



The other was "felicidades" - I know that literally, this means congratulations. But some random guy said this to me when I was walking down the street. Usually, I just ignored them, but this one guy was like, "you say thank you, you know"... but... what was he congratulating me for?



So confused. help a girl out. I've travelled to Latin America a couple of times, but i'm still learning the colloquialisms.Help with translation spanish - english.?
You are right! Colloquialism is a problem when you are learning any language, because they are different from region to region even within the same country. In Spanish speaking countries I would say is more difficult because we have too many colloquialisms. I'll try to help you as much as I can.



The first thing you have to put in your mind, which I think you already know, is that you cannot translate Spanish to English and viceversa literally. You have to go most of the time with expressing what you really mean to say.



Me gusta tu forma.....if people say that to you when you have conversations with them, it means they like the way you speak, they way you have to say things.



The other one...'felicidades' said to you just passing by, doesn't make any sense. As you said, it means congratulations and it is the way to use it: if it's your birthday, if you get a promotion, if you acomplish something, but not as a compliment because you are pretty or something like that. You did well ignoring them!!



As I can see, you are doing pretty well with Spanish. 隆隆隆Felicidades!!!!



Hope this helps! Good luck!
"me gusta tu forma" can also mean "I like your form" as in physical shape or appearance, perverts might have been checking you out and you didn't even notice..Help with translation spanish - english.?
A similar answer was asked in Spanish and you might find the answers helpful. http://mx.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind鈥?/a>



"Me gusta tu forma de ser" means "I like your style" -- i.e. your manner, your attitude, the way you talk.



"Felicidades" is something you can say to anyone you meet on a special occasion when everyone is celebrating. It could be translated: "Best wishes on this happy occasion".Help with translation spanish - english.?
Ok, "me gusta tu forma" can be the same thing as I like your way, i like your shape (body form). If they mean I like your way it would be refering to a point of view.



Now "felicidades" only means congrats or congratulations nothing more. People who are hispanic tend to use this phrase in almost any good thing that happens for example if you get an A in your exam they would say Felicidades, and the polite thing would be a reply with thank you ( Gracias.)

No comments:

Post a Comment